10 Comments

1. Keenton Chiang
    August 5, 2013 @ 8:50 pm

On June 30, 2012, Father Howard gave a talk on Radio Maria about “The Meaning of Original Unity and Nakedness.” It’s a podcast that you can listen online or download: http://radiomaria.us/theologyofthebody/2012/06/30/june-30-2012/

2. Keenton Chiang
    August 5, 2013 @ 8:57 pm

Dr. Edward Sri (I read his incredibly helpful book on how to pray the rosary) wrote this great summary on Original Unity (among other ideas expounded in JPII’s Theology of the Body):

A man can view sex as a way of deepening his personal union with his wife, giving himself completely to her and expressing his total commitment to her as a person and to what is best for her. Or he can approach sex merely as a physical act with some woman who happens to give him pleasure — without any real commitment to that woman’s well-being. Instead of being truly committed to the woman as a person and to her good, such a man is committed to the woman in that moment primarily for what she provides him: his own sexual satisfaction. Such a denigration of sex, which is pervasive in our culture today, certainly is a far cry from the beautiful nuptial meaning God has given to the body.

Source: http://www.catholiceducation.org/articles/sexuality/se0247.htm

• Keenton Chiang
      August 5, 2013 @ 9:00 pm

Hmm… Dr. Sri says this about Original Unity, but I reach this conclusion myself in a future post about Original Nakedness:

The body has a language that is able to communicate something much more profound than information or ideas.

3. Keenton Chiang
    August 5, 2013 @ 9:11 pm

Research paper done by Father Darren Dentino on JPII’s Theology of the Body. Amazingly, he talks about the whole work in one post. Very good summary that I will have to look over again when I’m finished with my reflections:

• Keenton Chiang
      August 7, 2013 @ 9:26 pm

I don’t know why I can’t find more modern treatment on the Theology of the Body. Maybe I’m not looking in the right places? Nevertheless, I found an older article by Christopher West, who wrote in response to criticism on his treatment of TOB:

I’m not sure what the criticisms are. I read one of West’s work on TOB (Good News about Sex & Marriage) and loved it. If there is more to TOB than sex, that’s fine. There’s enough room for other writers to comment, but it doesn’t mean what West is doing is wrong or misleading. Quite the opposite, actually. I’m reading the actual transcripts of JPII’s speeches on TOB because I was inspired by West. Of course, I’m discovering that there is a lot of profound theology that touches on issues other than marriage and sex.

4. Original Nakedness, (or… In the beginning, there was only the iPhone) « Keen for God
    August 11, 2013 @ 8:13 am

[…] ⟨ […]

5. The Analogy of the Flower « Keen for God
    August 18, 2013 @ 8:04 am

[…] their god, so do man, woman and the soul-creating Spirit mirror the Holy Trinity, which is God (cf. Original Unity).  Just as covering the flowers with dead leaves and bird feathers would hide its real beauty, so […]

6. Desire and Concupiscence « Keen for God
    September 3, 2013 @ 6:01 am

[…] by the Heavenly Gardener, they do not repent.  Instead, the flowers blame each other, corrupting Original Unity.  They cover themselves with grass and feathers.  So, the very flowery-ness of their body no […]

7. Keenton Chiang
    September 4, 2013 @ 7:10 am

Now that I’m deeper into the Theology of the Body, I find the idea of Original Unity to be a deep insight to what was lost because of Original Sin.

It’s verified by personal experience: I always felt something was missing in my life until I got married. Now, I can whole-heartedly give myself to my wife. I can set aside all my self-centered desires for the sake of my wife’s happiness. And, oddly enough, I feel joy doing it. This joy shouldn’t be possible according to the “wisdom” of the world. Yet, it isn’t the world that’s giving me joy. It is a fruit of the Holy Spirit.

I enjoy my solitude, but I did not feel complete until I got married. Until I became a husband and a father, to be exact.

8. Forgetting Sex is Sacred « Keen for God